Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Better Place

I stumbled across an article today about a man who created a beautiful tribute to his wife after she passed away. A farmer in England planted thousands of oak trees and created a glade in the shape of a heart. It truly is an amazing love story and what a beautiful way to honour someone so dear to you. I shared the article with Jim and the story really touched him. Touched him so deeply that he was moved to tears and held out his hands to grab mine. We hugged and Jim said he would do the same for me.

It is moments like these that reinforce that I made the right decision seven years ago, when I accepted his proposal the day we met. I am so lucky to have found such a generous, compassionate and loving man. He has made such a difference in my life and motivates me to be a better person every day. For a long time I was living a life steeped in negativity and bad habits. But when I met Jim, he saw something inside of me that even I didn't know I had. The poem that was read at our wedding continues to resonate - louder than ever before.

I love you because you
Are helping me to make
Of the lumber of my life
Not a tavern
But a temple.
Out of the works
Of my every day
Not a reproach
But a song.
I love you
Because you have done
More than any creed
Could have done
To make me good.
And more than any fate
Could have done
To make me happy.
You have done it
Without a touch,
Without a word,
Without a sign.
You have done it
By being yourself.

Over the years, I have struggled with letting go of anger and resentment and feel that I am finally making progress in that area. Jim continues to inspires me with his positive outlook and gentle nature. He has always encouraged me and the changes that are occurring in my life are a direct result of his support and love. I want to be the best person I can and I especially want to be the best wife I can be. And as fiber artist and blogger, Maria Wulf, said on her blog recently "I know it makes the world a better place." 


Maria, by the way, also serves as an inspiration to me. When I am getting stuck in old ways of thinking or having trouble sleeping I focus on the beautiful wall hanging I bought from her. It keeps me grounded and gives me focus. 


Laughing in a Sea of Donkeys





No comments:

Post a Comment