Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Underground Downtown

Not too long ago I had the great opportunity and joy to work with dogs. Lots and lots of dogs, sometimes as many as 30 a day and I loved it. Now however, I work downtown, surrounded by lots and lots of people.

After some major changes in my life I found myself looking for a job, preferably one that allowed me evenings and weekends off. When I came across an ad for a cook at a downtown restaurant, my ears pricked up. Downtown would mean Monday to Friday days, my ideal! I went and interviwed and was promptly hired. I was excited about scoring a pretty sweet gig, but a bit apprehensive as well. I had never worked a "downtown" job before, most of my life had been spent in the restaurant business - from greasy spoons to fine dining and everywhere in between. Downtown meant stuffy lawyers and slick suits, whereas I'm a flannel and blue jean kind of gal.

Stranger still, my new place of employment was located underground. Winnipeg has a large complex of under ground malls and concourses, necessitated by our brutally cold and long winters. I had a hard time imagining that I would be happy not seeing the outside for 8 hours a day. I mean my idea of a good time is going for a walk in the woods with my dog and mucking about!

Six months later, I can say that underground downtown has been pretty good to me. It has hidden beauty and charms. There are interesting things to see, if you look around. So I have begun photographing some of the city sights and I'll continue to share them with you.

And now I'm going for a walk with the dogs!


Massive sculpture on the corner of Portage and Main. 

Relief that stretches around the 'Circus'. 

201 Portage, I love the juxtaposition of old and new. 

You could walk past this 100times and not notice. 

The lobby in one of the offices we deliver to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment